Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Only California Matters

Any Californian would agree with that statement, myself included. But turn on your TV. Today, as yesterday, and the day before, the only thing that has happened in the entire world is that Southern California is burning to hell, as if it wasn't going there already.

I'm not belittling the very real loss of thousands upon thousands of people, and I'm not just acting on my Northern California distaste for SoCal (and, for that matter, acronyms). No, no. I'm highlighting two facts:

1. Wildfires are normal, people. Southern California needs to burn every so often; otherwise, the soil would be so arid that we wouldn't have oranges or whatever the hell they grow in San Diego. Seriously. Don't you like oranges?

2. CNN can suck my...oranges.

CNN and similar parties would have you believe that the only thing that is newsworthy is a cyclical and natural phenomenon that affects only a fraction of the United States, and a negligent, minute portion of the world. It's no surprise that American media has an American bias. See my post on News That Matters and you will plainly see that people, at least enlightened people, have identified this problem.

The broader implication is that as susceptible television viewers, American citizens will learn that nothing else matters more than the USofA. Reliance on fluff does not breed thoughtful, intelligent citizenry. Nor does rampant use of acronyms. What it does breed is the "biggest pile of idiots in U.S. history." Well, maybe it's not exactly the news media that is rotting the brains of the tweens.

But it's relatable.

And I'm pretty sure other stuff has happened in the world since the fire broke out, but quite frankly, I don't care. But I do like my citrus.

1 comment:

E said...

Yes, it has been on too long. That is, coverage of thes fires. Yes, they are tragic. Yes, I am sorry that hundreds of thousands of people are currently and many, permanently, homeless, but it would be nice for it to not be the only thing on CNN, ABC, NBC, etc.
The coverage has been intense and Americans are a little too American-centric but it is what they can relate to. I'm all for the news doing a better job of reporting on news outside of this country and achieve a balance but many Americans are drawn to these stories because it may impact them- they may know someone or have some type of connection. It makes sense that the news would then over-report on this subject matter. Not saying it is right but saying it does make sense as to why there is non-stop coverage.